Working with the Virtual Tour Company is an absolute pleasure. The tour they've produced for Topsham Museum is so much more than we imagined it could possibly be, and has given a small museum global reach! The tour is easy for web visitors to use and the content management system is straightforward and intuitive, so we non-technical people can update and alter content quickly and easily. Neil and his team are currently working on a British Sign Language option, and developing a virtual reality version of the tour, for use with VR headsets in the museum building as well as for outreach.
Museum Virtual Tour
Topsham Museum is housed in a late 17th-century building overlooking the Exe Estuary. Much of the Museum’s focus is on Topsham’s maritime history, with its role as a trade port and shipbuilding centre. Our goal was to create a fully accessible tour rich in information and to provide a unique, user-friendly alternative to visiting the museum in person. Explore more on our virtual tour offerings for the tourism industry.
UNIQUE BENEFITS ACHIEVED:
- an interactive virtual tour compromising of over thirty 360° scenes.
- fully accessible, with British sign language transcripts being added.
- responsive design to work across all main devices and browsers.
- using the Content Management System, the client has added rich content with audio descriptions, photo galleries, and more.
- tracking was added to assess analytics performance and increased time on site.
- aerial photography of the premises and of the breathtaking surrounding area of Topsham.
- content management features so key information can be updated by the team from any browser.
- information pop-ups were added for scenes with photo galleries – all of this managed through the CMS.
- 360 images were used to create interactive posts and enhance social media user performance.
The Museum was established in 1967 by Dorothy Holman. It started in the sail loft attached to the original merchant’s house. The displays initially showed aspects of her family’s shipbuilding background and the collection grew as people donated items of local interest. Entry to the Museum is free and running costs are met by the proceeds of our excellent tea room and gift shop, donations from visitors and from fundraising events run by our numerous dedicated volunteers.
Visit the Topsham Museum website.